Translate

Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope that you have all had a wonderful day filled with BBQs, pool time, get togethers with friends and more. For today, I'm going to turn this post over to my husband Seth, who serves proudly in the Army Reserve, and my dad Jim, who always has something to say.

Seth: "I would say, of course, remember the troops and take the time to explain to your children why we have the day and how it affects our freedom. It is the very reason we are allowed to celebrate our holidays because of all the troops who fought for us. Both those who made it back and those who did not. In these political times, be sure to remember that those people in uniform fight for our country - regardless of who is the president or in congress."

Jim: "When I was in elementary school in 1970, nickel plated bracelets by the tens of thousands were sold, each having the name of a prisoner of war or someone MIA - missing in action in the war in Vietnam. I had a bracelet with the name of Major Owen Skinner, Date of Loss 12 December 1970. I wore that bracelet, and wore it and wore it. When some agreements were made later and some POWs came home, I kept looking for Major Skinner. He never came home. His plane was lost over Laos and his remains have never been found. But I think of him; and his family, and his friends, and his comrades. To this day, on Memorial Day, I pull that rusted bracelet from my bottom drawer and give thanks to Major Skinner, and those like him who fought for us and gave the ultimate sacrifice."

1 comment:

  1. I think we lost some of the respect and humble thankfulness of Memorial Day when we stopped celebrating it on a specific date (May 30) but instead moved the date to the last Monday in May so we could enjoy a long weekend. Move your focus from stopping and remembering to grilling and partying and watch some of the meaning automatically disappear, intended or not. Your dad's story about wearing the MIA bracelet really touched me and reminded me of the scarring holiness those who have given their lives leave behind for families and friends to have to bear.

    ReplyDelete