Translate

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fast Food - Quinoa With Tomato Vodka Sauce

So...I often get up at 4:30 a.m. in order to teach bootcamp classes. That's 4:30-A-M. I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just a fact. Many times I will often end my day at 9 p.m. or after. Again, it's just a fact, and if I'm traveling between this city and that, I might go to a drive through but you know what they have? If you look on the bottom of the menu board most every place will have 'side salad' listed right there. You really have to look because there's no big splashy picture of it but it's there and it's cheaper than the huge double burger you were contemplating ordering, and they're usually delicious! I'm bringing this up because I hear a lot of excuses from people that they 'just don't have time to eat right sometimes'. My apologies, but I'm calling BS on that. As I've said before, you can splurge once in a while but a garden variety Tuesday is not that time so if you do eat something you know you shouldn't just take ownership of it. Admit it but don't look me in the eye and tell me you didn't have time. That may happen once in a very blue moon. I'm also lucky enough to be able to go home during the day many times a week but am often pressed for time but with a little planning I've found you can make meals in a snap. This bowl of healthful deliciousness literally took about 12 minutes start to finish and only about 2 minutes of that required any actual work on my part. Very simple - put 1/2 cup quinoa in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and turn on high heat. I went to pick a few basil leaves from my pot of herbs and washed them. Turned heat down to simmer and covered for ten minutes. Put in bowl, opened a bottle of Trader Joe's Tomato Vodka Sauce and put about 3/4 of a cup on top, added some pepper, a dash of salt, garnished with basil leaves - done! 13 grams of quality protein, lycopene, fiber, vitamins A and C and only 5 grams of fat, Excuses are really just that. You can eat healthy if you choose to, you just have a plan ahead and have healthy things on hand.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I eat quinoa, but this is a variation I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one, am a big fan of quinoa. This has fast become a regular staple of weekly meals. It's a Fantastic alternative to rice and pasta.

    ReplyDelete